Introduction: “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” introduces readers to the magical world of Harry Potter, a young boy who discovers he is a wizard on his eleventh birthday. He attends Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where he learns about his past, makes friends, and battles the dark wizard Voldemort.
- The Boy Who Lived: Harry Potter lives with his neglectful aunt, uncle, and cousin, the Dursleys. On his eleventh birthday, he receives a letter from Hogwarts, but the Dursleys try to prevent him from learning about his true heritage. Hagrid, a giant, finds Harry and reveals his identity as a wizard.
- The Vanishing Glass: Harry learns about his parent’s death and discovers he is famous in the wizarding world for surviving an attack by the dark wizard Voldemort as an infant. He also learns about his magical abilities, including his ability to speak to snakes.
- The Letters from No One: Despite the Dursleys’ attempts to keep Harry from attending Hogwarts, the letters informing him of his acceptance keep arriving. In desperation, the Dursleys flee to a remote island to escape the letters, but Hagrid eventually finds Harry and brings him to Diagon Alley to shop for school supplies.
- The Keeper of the Keys: At Diagon Alley, Harry learns about his parents’ wealth and purchases his school supplies, including his wand and pet owl, Hedwig. Hagrid also reveals more about Harry’s past and the wizarding world. Harry boards the Hogwarts Express, where he meets Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, who become his friends.
- Diagon Alley: Harry travels to Diagon Alley with Hagrid to purchase his school supplies. He visits Gringotts Bank, where he learns about his inheritance and encounters the villainous Professor Quirrell, who is suspiciously interested in Harry.
- The Journey from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters: Harry boards the Hogwarts Express from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters and meets Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. They form a bond during the train ride to Hogwarts.
- The Sorting Hat: Upon arriving at Hogwarts, the students are sorted into their respective houses by the Sorting Hat. Harry is sorted into Gryffindor House along with Ron and Hermione. He also meets other students, including Draco Malfoy and Neville Longbottom.
- The Potions Master: Harry begins his classes at Hogwarts, including Potions taught by Professor Snape, who seems to have a personal grudge against Harry. Harry also learns about Quidditch, a popular sport in the wizarding world.
- The Midnight Duel: Harry, Ron, and Hermione become suspicious of Professor Snape’s behavior and investigate. They overhear a conversation between Snape and Quirrell, leading them to believe Snape is trying to steal the Sorcerer’s Stone, an object rumored to grant immortality.
- Halloween: During Halloween, a troll is set loose in the castle. Harry and Ron save Hermione from the troll, solidifying their friendship. They receive House points for their bravery.
- Quidditch: Harry tries out for the Gryffindor Quidditch team as a Seeker and wins a spot. He plays in his first match against Slytherin and catches the Golden Snitch, securing Gryffindor’s victory.
- The Mirror of Erised: Harry discovers the Mirror of Erised, which shows the deepest desires of the viewer. He becomes obsessed with the mirror’s ability to show him his deceased parents and spends hours staring into it.
- Nicolas Flamel: Harry, Ron, and Hermione learn about Nicolas Flamel, the creator of the Sorcerer’s Stone, and suspect that the stone is hidden within Hogwarts to keep it safe from Voldemort.
- Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback: Hagrid reveals that he is raising a dragon egg, which hatches into a Norwegian Ridgeback named Norbert. Harry and his friends help Hagrid send Norbert to Ron’s brother, Charlie, in Romania.
- The Forbidden Forest: During detention with Hagrid, Harry and his friends encounter Voldemort’s servant, Professor Quirrell, in the Forbidden Forest. They narrowly escape and learn that Voldemort is after the Sorcerer’s Stone.
- Through the Trapdoor: Harry, Ron, and Hermione decide to protect the Sorcerer’s Stone from Voldemort. They navigate through various obstacles, including a giant chessboard and a series of challenges set up by the Hogwarts professors.
- The Man with Two Faces: Harry reaches the final chamber, where he finds Professor Quirrell attempting to steal the Sorcerer’s Stone. It is revealed that Voldemort possesses Quirrell. Harry manages to thwart Voldemort’s plans and save the stone, but Quirrell dies in the process.
Conclusion: “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” concludes with Harry returning the Sorcerer’s Stone to Nicholas Flamel and returning to his normal life at the Dursleys for the summer. He looks forward to returning to Hogwarts for his second year.